Evidence of U.S. Citizenship for a Minor

Before you apply for a minor's passport visit the State Department page for minor information.

The minor and both parents (or guardians) must appear in person to submitForm DS-11 at an acceptance facility or a passport agency.
Primary evidence of U.S Citizenship is the same as adults.

Evidence of Relationship

Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant: (One of the following)

  • Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents' names
  • Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents' names*
  • Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names*
  • Court Order establishing custody
  • Court Order establishing guardianship *
  • All foreign documents submitted with a passport application must be accompanied by an English translation (formal or informal)


  • Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as evidence of relationship
  • Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted, if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.)

Additional Information to provide Parental Consent

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST

Appear in person with the minor
Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

One Parent MUST

A0ppear in person with the minor
Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent
Submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

One Parent (with sole legal custody) MUST

Appear in person with the minor
Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent
Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

  • Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent
  • NOTE:
    If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

A Third Party (In Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16) MUST:

Submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport
When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than 3 months old. New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16.

Additional Information

Visit Travel.State.Gov or contact the installation passport section