Directorate Home
Directorate Telephone Directory

Evidence of U.S. Citizenship for a Minor

Before you apply for a minor's passport visit the State Department page for minor information.

The minor and both parents (or guardians) must appear in person to submitForm DS-11 at an acceptance facility or a passport agency.

Primary evidence of U.S Citizenship is the same as adults

Passport for minor logo
Evidence of Relationship

Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant: (One of the following)

  • Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents' names
  • Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents' names*
  • Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names*
  • Court Order establishing custody
  • Court Order establishing guardianship *
  • All foreign documents submitted with a passport application must be accompanied by an English translation (formal or informal).
  • NOTES:
    • Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as evidence of relationship
    • Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted, if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.)

Additional Information to provide Parental Consent

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST:

Appear in person with the minor

  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

  • One Parent MUST:

    Appear in person with the minor

    Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

    Submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

    One Parent
    (with sole legal custody)
    Appear in person with the minor

    Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

    Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

    Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent

    Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent

    Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)

    Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)

    Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child

    Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent

    Death certificate of non-applying parent

    NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

    A Third Party
    (in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16)

    Submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport

    When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than 3 months old. New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16.